1. What is the difference between a solar charger and solar panel?
Great question. We were even flummoxed when we started our market research.
Solar charger means a low capacity solar panel and integrated electronics that drive just enough power to charge smart devices.
But a solar panel is much larger and has a separate controller (a small box that regulates the power generated). A solar panel can be used to both recharge devices and drive appliances e.g. a small water heater or a water pump or lights and fan.
2. What type of connectors should they have?
Most devices use Micro-USB or Type-C ports if they are Android. Apple devices use Lightning ports.
Most of the solar chargers have a USB-A outlet that you commonly find on computers. You have to use the USB-A to Micro-USB/Type-C cable that came with your phone.
3. How many watts do I need?
You do not need more than 20 watts at most. But consider that there always will not be bright sunshine. A 20 watt device may end up offering 3 watts on average during daylight hours.
A larger 50 watt device would then be better since even in sub-optimal conditions it can generate 10 watts. A 50-70 watt solar charger is ideal unless you plan on running appliances.
4. How to use and maintain solar chargers properly?
Here are few tips on using and maintaining your solar charger:
- Regularly wipe down the solar panels with a clean, dry cloth.
- Avoid exposing your solar charger to extreme temperatures.
- Position the charger in direct sunlight and adjust the angle of the panels to face the sun.
- Store your solar charger in a cool, dry place when not in use.
- Regularly check the wiring and connections of your solar charger.
5. Are solar chargers safe and eco-friendly?
Yes, solar chargers are generally considered safe and eco-friendly.
They use renewable energy from the sun to power electronic devices. This reduces our reliance on fossil fuels and decreases our carbon footprint.
Additionally, solar chargers do not produce any harmful emissions. In short, they are a perfect green device for a sustainable lifestyle.